Dental Exams & Cleanings
Dental exams, cleanings, and x-rays are all part of a healthy dental care regimen. Preventive treatments including sealants and fluoride help protect teeth. The key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile is prevention. Regular dental exams and cleanings help avoid serious and costly dental problems and.
Your initial dental visit will include a comprehensive dental exam performed by your dentist. A regular exam with your dental hygenist will include the following:
- Examination of x-rays (radiographs): X-rays are essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Comprehensive look at the face, gums, tongue, throat, lips, tissues, and neck for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Review of the gums and bone around the teeth for signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check of all tooth surfaces for decay with the use of dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Look at current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by Dental Hygienists. This part of the dental cleaning exam will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of tartar (calculus): Tartar is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth and is firmly attached to the tooth surface. Tartar forms both above and below the gum line and is removed using special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is an almost invisible, sticky film that forms on the teeth grows in a colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. Plaque bacteria produce poisons that inflame gums. This inflammation caused by the growth of plaque is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Removes debri from the teeth that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling including stain and plaque.